When evaluating available fuses for the SafetyHub family of products, Blue Sea Systems engineers discovered the compact and versatile MIDI®/AMI® fuse. This fuse is well established in the automotive industry, and the marine version became the ideal choice for the SafetyHub Fuse Block product line.
The first marine application for the MIDI®/AMI® fuse is in the Blue Sea Systems’ SafetyHub Fuse Blocks. This fuse was chosen because it:
- Is ignition protected when used with the SafetyHub 100, 200, and 250, making it safe for installation aboard gasoline-powered boats
- Has a wide 30A–200A range
- Is compact and lightweight
- Uses tin-plated copper blades for maximum conductivity and corrosion resistance
- Has a clear window, allowing the fuse element to be clearly seen
- Is color coded for quick amperage identification
- Bolts down for secure mechanical and electrical connections
- Costs less than most fuses of the same amperages
- Has a high Ampere Interrupting Capacity (AIC)
A high Ampere Interrupting Capacity is important because it allows the MIDI®/AMI® fuse to be used in DC Main applications, those fuses first in line after the battery, and in other situations where a fuse may have to break a high amount of current.
Blue Sea Systems has been working with the major fuse manufacturers on improvements that will provide a new higher level of interrupt capacity in this fuse family. Older inventories or models may exist which do not meet these standards. Only MIDI®/AMI® fuses from Blue Sea Systems are assured to have a 5000A @ 12V DC Ampere Interrupting Capacity (AIC), and are therefore the only fuses appropriate for the SafetyHub products.
Look for additional product introductions from Blue Sea Systems that utilize the MIDI®/AMI® fuse.